The training course typically runs between two and three hours,
depending upon the experience of the student(s) and the number of questions asked
(questions are welcome!).
Students are invited to bring along their firearms (unloaded please).
No live fire is included in this course.
Upon completion of the course a certificate is issued which carries all the information required.
This includes all of the information typically requested by Oregon Sheriffs on their application forms:
- Instructor's name.
- Instructor's contact information (email, phone, ZIP code etc.)
- Instructor's certification credentials.
This certificate is valid in for a CHL with any sheriff in any county in Oregon.
If there is any problem in acceptance, please contact me and I will resolve the
problem. If the problem cannot be resolved, I will give a 100% refund.
The section highlighted in blue is covered in the online course.
The section highlighted in yellow is the state required minimum.
The rest is covered in the in-person course.
- Safety rules
- Modified rules for concealed carry
- Ammunition basics (construction, components)
- Types of action
- Clearing jammed weapon
Practical handgun self-defense
- Mental attitude
- Selection of weapon
- Selection of ammunition
- Concealment of handgun
- Double tap
- Importance of practice/familiarity with gun and its operation
- Concequences of using firearm (practical/psychological)
- How to obtain
- Where valid
- Specific areas NOT covered
- Reciprocity with other states
Oregon law and self-defense
- NOT LEGAL ADVICE (see lawyer for that)
- Consequences of using firearm (legal)
- Physical force vs Deadly force
- Specific areas where deadly force is permitted under Oregon law
- Laws are INTERPRETED
- Always last resort
- Scenario dicussion